Friday 29 January 2010

Richard Dunwoody in the Sporting Life

I never commented on a recent article by Richard Dunwoody which appeared in the Sporting Life.

But a friend at the BHA tells me that it has caused "apoplexy" on High Holborn. I find that hard to believe.

It seems to me that it is a well-reasoned, thoughtful piece. Yes, it undermines the BHA position; but surely they must already be aware that many in racing either do not share their view, or feel that their argument has not been convincingly made. Given that this article does no more than underline that, I doubt it could really lead to such anger.

In fact, I'd have thought we should all welcome a coherent debate on the subject. So, even if the BHA remains convinced (ten years on and without yet having persuaded any independent observers, such as DCMS, Treasury, Sir Philip Otton, etc.) that they have a case that somehow Betfair doesn't pay the right levy, they surely can't really be concerned about anyone putting a counter view to that? Having people do so gives them a good opportunity to start making a clear rebuttal of the points in Betfair's favour. I'm looking forward to hearing it!


No comments:

Post a Comment